Dry eye is a growing problem; and not just in Las Vegas, where the climate is notoriously arid. More than 100 million people around the world suffer from dry eye – and that number is growing! Whether caused by increased screen time, certain medications, climate or other environmental factors, dry eye is a chronic and persistent problem for many people. If you’re experiencing dry eye symptoms come and talk to us so we can help find the right dry eye solution for you!
We all know it’s a dry heat in Vegas but did you know the city actually boasts the lowest humidity on record in the country?
This arid, desert-like climate contributes to what is called evaporative dry eye, a condition affecting the meibomian glands located in the eyelids that is credited with being the most common underlying cause of dry eye. Nearly 90% of people diagnosed with evaporative dry eye have MGD or Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Put simply, MGD is characterized by tears that evaporate too quickly.
Here’s how it works:
There are several meibomian glands in the upper and lower eyelid. These glands secrete oils onto the surface of the eye, which helps keep your tears from evaporating too quickly. MGD can be described as a blockage of those glands so they don’t secrete enough oil into the tears. As a result, tears evaporate more quickly than they should.
The good news is that, in the vast majority of cases, evaporative dry eye is very treatable. That means you don’t have to just live with it!
There are several treatments available to manage dry eye symptoms. From over-the-counter or prescription eye drops and warm compresses to punctal plugs and meibomian gland expression, dry eye treatments span the spectrum.
LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System burst on the dry eye scene just a few short years ago and has quickly taken center stage in the treatment of the most common forms of dry eye. The eye specialists at Center For Sight heartily recommend LipiFlow for many patients who are dealing with dry eye. Why? Because for so many patients, it works where other treatments have failed.
LipiFlow is the only FDA-approved medical device designed to treat the root cause of gland dysfunction. It addresses evaporative dry eye by unblocking the meibomian glands that secrete oily lipids.
Check out all these amazing benefits:
1. LipiFlow addresses the root of the problem. MGD is the most common underlying cause of dry eye. LipiFlow is designed to unblock the meibomian glands that secrete the oily lipids needed to produce quality tears.
2. LipiFlow restores the natural balance of your tears. Healthy tears are made up of three unique, precisely balanced layers:
If one of these layers is off, your tears will be out of balance and not work as they should. The purpose of tears is to protect, lubricate, comfort and wash your eyes. If all parts of the tear aren’t working together, the result is an imbalanced tear.
3. LipiFlow versus eye drops. Eye drops are often wasted. Think about it. When you put in eye drops, you might notice that most of the contents run down your cheek – even if your aim was spot on. This means your eye is only receiving half (or less!) of the drops contained in the bottle. A waste of medicine and money!
With FDA-approved LipiFlow, there is zero waste because the procedure is designed to help you produce exactly what your eyes need – no more, no less, no waste!
4. LipiFlow is all natural. Remember, the goal of LipiFlow is to address the root of your dry eye symptoms, not just treat the symptoms. Restoring function back to your glands can restore the natural balance and proper biological makeup of your tears so they can function as they should. As opposed to drops, which contain chemicals to clear blockage and lubricate, LipiFlow employs gentled heated pulsations to unblock and clear the meibomian glands, so your eyes can produce more of their own perfectly balanced tears.
5. LipiFlow is a longterm solution for Dry Eye. Presently, there is no permanent cure for dry eye or MGD. However, LipiFlow is a viable, long-term solution. Several clinical studies (31 peer-reviewed articles) demonstrate LipiFlow’s safety and effectiveness.
LipiFlow uses gentle movement and heat to unclog the Meibomian glands found on the rim of your eyelid that help keep your tears from evaporating. When those glands are free and clear, they’re able to function properly to keep more tears on your eye’s surface, right where they belong!
The LipiFlow system safely and comfortably delivers automated therapeutic energy to the Meibomian glands, while protecting the delicate structures of your eye.
The LipiFlow procedure is non-invasive and takes only about 10 minutes in office! The number of treatments required can vary from patient to patient.
Many of our Center For Sight patients report a noticeable improvement in just a few days, with relief continuing to improve 3-4 weeks following the procedure. Our team can give you a more accurate timeline estimate upon evaluating the severity of your unique dry eye condition.
Your LipiFlow procedure will be performed by a Center For Sight board-certified ophthalmologist in a comfortable, in-office setting. Think of it as a gentle, heated massage for your eyes!
At this time, LipiFlow is not covered by most medical insurance plans. However, at Center For Sight, we offer several affordable financing options to help you comfortably afford your dry eye treatment.
LipiFlow is revolutionary in the treatment of the root cause of the most common form of dry eye. At Center For Sight, we are so excited to be able to offer this amazing breakthrough to our valued patients.
Are you ready for real dry eye relief?
With LipiFlow, we can treat your dry eye issues in-office conveniently and efficiently, so you can get back to your life quickly. Schedule your Dry Eye screening today to find out if LipiFlow is right for you.